Sunday, March 18, 2007

Tech Talk

Last Thursday evening, my laptop's power light went out for the last time. No matter what I did, I couldn't resurrect my four year-old Compaq Presario.

One of the best aspects of being an RVer is that there is always another RVer who is an expert in some area. It happened that a computer guru had a reservation this weekend in the park where I work. I left a note for him and he came over to look at my computer. It was a loose connection that eventually fried the motherboard. He and his wife were relaxing for the weekend so he didn't bring tools. I have a computer toolkit and he was able to remove the hard drive. He went to his RV and made three DVDs with data he managed to transfer from the drive. Then he returned the drive after removing the memory and since I wasn't online, he took a picture of the old laptop, wrote an ad and put it on Craig's List for parts.

In a future post, I'll be letting you know about Vista, Microsoft's new operating system, and its positives and negatives. If you're planning to purchase a new computer, I'll provide some links to sites that can help you with transferring information from your current to a new drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment