Thursday, August 30, 2007

RVing Northern California Part 4

I went through Eureka and saw the Denny's. It has a small parking lot and is right next to 101, making it almost impossible for an RV to park. Thank goodness I had stopped in Fortuna.

Humboldt County is beautiful. There are lush green forests and a gorgeous beach. However, the slow, winding road that is Highway 101 keeps you alert for sharp curves, road work, elk crossings and steep grades. I did see one deer, a doe, off the highway on my right and she just looked at me. I hope she made it across the road or back into the woods unharmed.

I was being followed by a 30-foot or so fifth wheel. The signs are clearly posted that anyone towing should be driving 55. They passed me traveling at least 65. I couldn't see the license plate for the province but the Canadian maple leaf was on their tire cover.

Later, someone towing a 25-foot trailer also passed me traveling at least 70. I sighed. I hope both RVers made it to their destination safely.

Finally, I saw the turnoff for Klamath. The waitress was correct: it was about 90 minutes from the time I left Fortuna. I went left at the stop sign as directed and went up a winding one-lane road.

And up. And up. I passed the Klamath RV Park. To enter required a very sharp, almost U-turn to the right and down a one-lane road. There is no way I would have stayed there in an RV larger than mine. It would have been extremely dangerous for someone towing to make that turn. And what would happen when that RVer left the park to return to the freeway?

Finally, I came to a one-lane bridge with a stop sign. I stopped. Nothing was coming from the opposite direction so I crossed and saw signs for Kamp Klamath. It's just inside the border of the Redwood National Forest.

I was directed to a shady site with trees, birds and the nearby fishing area. I would have been happy to stay there except I couldn't get a strong enough wi-fi signal even with my booster antenna. The nice guys who run the campground put me in another site opposite the wi-fi antenna.

This is a lovely campground and I'm looking forward to the salmon BBQ and campfire singalong on Saturday night. However, you really have to want to be here to navigate the road to get into the campground.



Note: In the three days I spent on the road, I saw two Highway Patrol cars. One was parked off the side of the road near a truck stop in Scotia and the other had stopped a motorist near Yreka.

There are very few services along Highway 101 and although I have my CB on when I travel, I only heard three people in passing. On the flat areas, I had cell phone reception. In the hills, I couldn't tell since I was too busy navigating the highway to look at the connectivity.

Basically, I wouldn't mind traveling Highway 101 north of Yreka during daylight hours and now that I know about the road to this campground, I would return someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment