Monday, October 20, 2008

The big weekend

There is a big weekend coming up and everyone in the United States will be sharing some or all of it. It starts with Halloween.

October 31st is Halloween and on a Friday this year. That means the trick-or-treaters will be out in force and able to stay up late. Many Halloween parties will conclude after "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is shown at midnight.

November 1st and 2nd celebrate El Dia de los Muertos or the Day of the Dead. The holiday takes place over the two days designated as All Saints Day and All Souls Day by the Catholic church. The 1st honors deceased infants and children; the 2nd deceased adults.

Also on November 1st before we retire for the evening (in every state except Arizona), we turn our clocks back one hour. Some of us also change the batteries in our smoke detectors, carbon monoxide and LP gas detectors.

On Monday, November 3rd, I (and probably a few others) will celebrate my 60th birthday. It's quite a milestone and I'm very glad to be alive and healthy enough to enjoy it.

And on Tuesday, November 4th, we go to the polls and elect a new president. We also express ourselves on our ballots, our approval or denial of issues, then watch and listen for the results to see what the future brings.

I'm ready. Are you?

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday from the great state of Texas!!!!

    Your blog gives me encouragement that one of these days I will get out and put some miles on my RV into new places. I really want to go west. Anything for single women that would entice me to head west. I did join RV women in order to have some destinations but haven't identified a likely place. Hope to see you down the road.
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Alice. There are many places to see and fun activities to enjoy out west. Come to California and I'll show you around!

    ReplyDelete