Monday, March 30, 2009

Dining in Point Reyes Station

Now that I'm a volunteer camp host at Samuel P. Taylor State Park, I am six miles from Olema Ranch RV Resort and Campground where I began my workamping experience. My friend who lives in Inverness and whose husband, my former co-worker and supervisor, is now the manager at the campground, picked me up and took me to Point Reyes Station. The small community is two miles north of Olema and has many fun places to visit: Toby's Feed Barn, the Cowgirl Creamery, the Pine Cone Diner, the Station House Cafe and now, Stellina.

What a lovely and delicious surprise! We were greeted at the door by the owner, a former chef, and our waiter recognized the Good Samantha on my windbreaker. The restaurant is on the edge of upscale without making you feel you should dress up to dine there. We had lunch so I can't vouch for breakfast nor dinner. It was terrific.

We started with a potato soup with pesto and nettles accompanied by bread from the local bakery. Most of the menu consisted of local and organic food. My friend was happy with a bite from my entree: penne pasta with cannellini beans and sun-dried tomatoes with asiago cheese. For dessert, my friend had a Meyer lemon ice cream sandwich while I enjoyed a coffee pot de creme with chopped walnuts and Straus Dairy whipped cream. I can duplicate the soup and entree at home, but I would be hard-pressed to create the desserts.

If you decide to drive the California coast and camp at either Olema RV Resort and Campground or Bodega Dunes (another state park), you'll find Stellina on your way in Point Reyes Station.

No, I received nothing for this review but I love locally-grown organic food used well in creative dishes. Try it and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment