Monday, July 27, 2009

Community


The definition of "community" has changed for me over the years, especially since I became a full-time RVer. Originally, I traveled in the Pacific Northwest with my husband and dogs in a Dodge van conversion. We lived in Bellevue, Kirkland and Spokane, Washington, and our community was stable in each of those cities.

We traveled and lived in the van while living and working in Reno and Sparks, Nevada.
Then I became a solo RVer in a 22-foot Winnebago living in an RV park in Reno. Northern Nevada was my community for 13 years and I had friends and business contacts there.

I moved to Berkeley and worked in San Francisco, and they became my communities. I had friends and business contacts in both cities. If I needed my car smogged or a good doctor, I looked to my community.

Then I became a workamper and my community was a campground in West Marin County. I knew where the closest stores, bank, auto repair places, and medical services were. If I didn't know, I could ask someone in my community.

When I travel as a solo female RVer, my community is online. I have to rely on wome RVers all over the US for referrals and recommendations. However, I don't have the face-to-face contact I would by actually living in the same community.

What about you? How has your community changed and how do you define it?

1 comment:

  1. I wrote a blog post about this very topic about this time last year, before I hit the road.

    http://travelswithmiranda.uskeba.ca/?p=40

    My community is now mostly online, but I also add to my 'real world' community at every place I stop. Also, the line between 'real' and 'virtual' is often blurred. A good real life friend became a good online friend when our paths separated while a good online friend is about to become a good real life friends when we meet up in the fall.

    ReplyDelete