Thursday, March 14, 2013

Full-time RVer helps other full-timers with income taxes

By Lisa Pancich
RVtravel.com

Are you a full-time RVer? Are you confused about how to prepare your income tax? If so, Honey Shellman may be able to help.

Shellman is a retired tax guru who helps other RVers at her blog RVtaxHelp.com. She has owned a tax preparation practice since 1978 and is a federally authorized income tax practitioner for both individuals and businesses in several states.

"When beginning my practice, most of my clients were self-employed," she said. "All these years later I still have many of them who, like me, are now retired and enjoying the RV lifestyle.

While traveling with her husband Bob in their RV the Popeye Express, Honey provides professional tax assistance while maintaining the unencumbered life of a full-time RVer. "I started my blog because I thought it would be helpful when someone has a tax question while being retired and on the road. If they don't know where to turn, perhaps my blog will be useful to them."

Honey's clients are all over the United States, and she enjoys meeting them. "I love that I can work with someone on the East Coast and then, years later, get the opportunity to travel in our RV to finally meet them."

A common tax challenge for full-time RVers, she notes, is record keeping. "This is something you can't do enough of," she explained. "You can't go back and reconstruct records. It's absolutely impossible. If you read through my blog, my one overriding comment is to keep proper records. If you have a business, whether part time or full time, and try to get some type of a write-off, if you don't have any records, you can't do a lot about it. The only thing we can do is keep meticulous records as if you are operating in a brick and mortar building."

If you're a full-time RVer and prepare your income taxes, consider checking out Honey's blog at www.rvtaxhelp.com. She welcomes tax questions from RVers.

No comments:

Post a Comment