Monday, November 11, 2013

A dozen safety tips for solo RV women from Laura Robinson, a solo RVer

Naturalist and birder Laura Robinson has been RVing solo for more than two years with her big dog Ruka in her Roadtrek RS Adventurous Class B motorhome.

Laura Robinson and pet companion, Ruka
This writer / photographer from Missouri is an experienced world traveler who loves the freedom of touring the U.S.A. in her recreation vehicle.

She calls her rig OLGA for “Old Ladies Get Around” because she plans on traveling until she "can't see over the steering wheel."

She adds: "I believe that single women, over 50, are one of the the fastest growing groups of RV buyers right now. We are divorced, widowed, have disposable income and are living longer. We are on the move! It is rare that I don’t run into another solo gal as I travel."

Because as a solo RVer she frequently gets asked about her safety concerns, Laura wrote a guest column about the subject for Roadtreking.com. 

One of her hints involved technology ... "I use the ALLSTAYS app on my I-Pad. I can look at the satellite image to see if where it is, if it looks neat and if there are permanent mobile homes, which I don’t care for. Read the reviews posted by other campers. Pass on if it doesn’t meet your standards, there is usually something down the road. Plan accordingly. I look one to two days ahead when planning my routes, and check for availability. ALLSTAYS also gives phone numbers so you can call ahead to make sure there is a spot available."

Read her complete post by clicking on:  "12 tips for women traveling solo in an RV."

Photo: Laura Robinson and Ruka. Courtesy of Roadtreking.com

To read more articles on RV lifestyle by Julianne G. Crane, go to RVWheelLife.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment