Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Becoming or Finding a Mentor

If it hadn't been for Marv, the man who sold my first motorhome to me, I would have made some really stupid rookie mistakes. He was the one who showed me how to light the catalytic wall heater safely, insisted that I purchase a short water hose and a heat tape to wrap around it, told me about a heater blanket for the holding tank and gave me a great deal of information, most of which I didn't appreciate at the time.

When you park in a cold climate during the winter (10 to 0 degrees F for several days), you learn quickly how to adapt. Adapting your RV takes a bit longer to learn and if you make a mistake, bad things happen: your holding tank will freeze. That means no flushing the toilet nor taking a shower until the tank thaws.

Marv also spoiled me with the improvements he made. The queen-size bed that pulled down from the ceiling over the cab had been reinforced and locked into place. The two couches in the back were made into a double bed and by lifting the mattress, a large storage area was found under the bed. The rear suspension was strengthened so a 100-gallon propane tank could be welded to the special frame. Marv had worked on the engine so it ran on gasoline or propane. I had a 900-mile range before I would have to fill either the gas or propane tank.

Be patient and remember how you learned. Everyone is different.

Teaching other women the tips and tricks of RVing is not only gratifying, it helps you learn more about what you might have forgotten. If you're a newbie, ask for help. If you're an experienced RVer, share what you know. It's a great learning event for both of you.

1 comment:

  1. Our first mentor, Ward, probably didn't even realize he was instrumental in getting us started in RVing and working on the road. He told us about Workamper News and boondocking. He had modified his RV with solar panels, catalytic heater, water saving devices and a swamp cooler. He got us thinking out of the box.

    RVers are so willing to share their knowledge. Finding a mentor is easy. Good tip, Adrienne!

    ReplyDelete