Wednesday, September 12, 2007

RVing women are everywhere

When I was driving through Salem, I passed a Safeway store and since I was in need of groceries, I was going to stop. The driveway was a sharp turn right after a right turn onto a busy highway. There was no way I could get into the lot nor park if I did. I kept driving to the RV park.

When I arrived at the park in Silverton, I asked if anyone was going to town and if so, could I ride with them to pick up some groceries and stop at the bank? If they were going to Safeway, I could take care of both errands at the same time since my bank has in-store branches in Safeway. The managers said they would let me know and if they went to the post office, they would take me.

So I walked back to my RV and started working. A blue car turned down my row, stopped and a woman behind the wheel waved at me. I didn't recognize her and I walked outside. She said, "RVing Women, right?" and pointed to the decal.
"Yes. FreeWheelers chapter. We're the ones hosting the convention. You?"
She replied, "Cascadia chapter. We live in the park while my roommate (whom I saw sitting in the passenger seat with the dog) takes care of her ill father."
"I'm Adrienne."
"I'm Marly and this is Linda. The dog is Tally."
"Nice to meet you."

I told them I had just arrived and was waiting for someone who was going to town so I could get some groceries. The Safeway lot was too small for the RV.
Marly said, "Hop in. We're going to the post office and will take you."
You don't have to offer twice.

Not only did they take me to Safeway where I stocked up and took care of banking, they also took me to the hardware store and gave me a tour of some of Silverton's murals.

When they dropped me off, Marly said, "Do you want to go to the farmer's market on Saturday?"
Let's see: I'm a vegetarian in an RV park surrounded by farms and I've been offered a trip to town for the farmer's market. Hmmm. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
"Yes!"

My new friends picked me up on Saturday and we spend an hour at the farmers market. Everything had been picked the previous night or that morning. I went home with Gravenstein apples, corn on the cob, red potatoes, goat cheese spread with rosemary and peppercorns from a local dairy, and marionberry jam and honey from two local ladies.

I left on Monday and didn't have a chance to say good-by to those two terrific RVing women. Thank you, Marly and Linda. I hope to be able to return the favor to other RVing women when we meet.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad there is an organization of RVing women. I hope you meet them everywhere as you travel. I hope to be a traveler myself one day, knowing there are women and friends to meet is an extra incentive to get on the road. I joined RVW this summer, but have not been able to travel. LindaD

    ReplyDelete