Thursday, December 13, 2007

When converters die


After I had the two house batteries replaced, the starting battery was checked and a new one was recommended. Now I know exactly how old the batteries are.

However, the 12 volt system wasn't charging like it should and pretty soon, the electric steps didn't work, the monitor panel didn't light up and the refrigerator started whining. The generator was working well, but I would have to start the engine to get the genset fired up. Back to the shop to find out the converter was dead.

It's 22 years old so it wasn't too much of a surprise. I'm very glad I'm working at Camping World since I get a discount on the part. The labor price is not discounted because Camping World believes the techs should be paid fairly for what they do. I agree. Occasionally, there is a free installation special or a percent-off discount, but most of the time, the labor is what it is.

The old converter is a different size so some modification of the cabinet under the refrigerator might be made. I'll let you know how the new converter is working after it's installed tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Adrienne I love your posts, they are so real and even though I'm a big old biker type guy, I like reading a post that talks to us as if we are family-thanks, you are unique. I understand about the 22 year young MH, my RoVer is 30 years old and a lot of things in CW aren't made for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. I enjoy writing very much and I'm always happy I can create something educational as well as entertaining.

    ReplyDelete